PERSONAL STATEMENT EDITING
To create a wining personal statement for residency matching that you will be proud to hang on your wall and look at it when studying hard during difficult times in your residency it should be written as if you make a case for yourself in front of the juries, it should be a source of inspired prose, true to yourself, and touching upon examples that will showcase your skills and abilities. It should show that you have the qualities to be the best resident and highlight your enthusiasm for your chosen field while at the same time be original, exciting, and concise.
Committees place a heavy emphasis on the personal statement, it is a central and vital part of your application that allows you to directly make an argument why you are well suited for your specialty. Program directors use the personal statement to differentiate between candidates with similar stats. Having served on selection committees we know both the challenges of applying and what the decision makers are looking for in an ideal candidate. One challenge of the personal statement is that you have to write a lot of information in a limited frame, while at the same time to stand out from the pool of applicants. However, this is the one part of your application that you have complete control of and where if mastered right you can win the interest of the selection committee to invite you for an interview or send a letter of acceptance.
We will work together with you to craft that powerful personal statement that will convince the admission committee why you are the best candidate for them. More than writing the statement for you, we will empower you and increase your level of awareness and effective writing as to work side by side with us in this process. In doing so you will be able to defend in front of any committee your outstanding value you bring as a future member of their team. Our advisers have a wealth of experience and know the admission process inside out. They never use templates and refine your draft to perfection, focusing it into an engaging and compelling piece of prose.
We provide our expert guidance to clients from all over Canada, USA, and overseas in our office or by phone and email. All your documents will be treated with the highest confidentiality.de some research experience in that field
We provide Personal Statement and Reference Letters Editing services:
- brainstorming topics to develop ideas that are unique to you and to help select the best format for your personal statement based on your resume or autobiographical sketch
- advice on the key inspirational stories, major experiences and outstanding achievements from your CV that you need to include in the personal statement in order to write a convincing, impressive, well written, eloquent essay
- removal of the activities and experiences that have low impact
- editing (format, grammar, and style) and refining of your draft
- detailed review of your draft document to a final polished version that stands out
- tailoring of versions for various schools
$100 per hour Personal Statement/ Reference letters review and editing by a team of admission adviser and English Major from the University of Toronto and overseen by Drs. Silverman who have personally edited and reviewed as part of the admissions team hundreds of personal statements and CVs
$50 additional re-edits or customization of the master statement for application to multiple programs
Tips for a winning personal statement
- Start as early as possible, it takes a lot of time and effort to talk about your interest in your chosen field, how it began, how it is part of your present, and how you envision your future medical career in a page
- Create and outline and then crystallize your ideas in a draft
- Chose a few experiences and achievements that will make it interesting to stand out from the crowd and to have higher impact
- Give personal examples-tell an interesting story and make a case for yourself
- Minimize any "red flags" such as age indication, too much referral to your previous country, a difficult family situation, hardship to settle in Canada, etc.
- Write the best introductory sentence you can and then describe how your clinical, research, teaching experience, your expertise and skills will help you to become a resident in the program of your choice
- Describe your residency and long term career goals
- Use active verbs, the essay will be stronger
- Use smooth transitions between paragraphs
- Write concise, logical, clear, well organized essays
- Do not use the same sentence pattern and clichés
Tips for additional questions about location, program, barriers, etc.
- To show that you are a good fit at a specific school research the school website you are interested to apply, join their Facebook page, LinkedIn groups, read articles about the schools, famous alumni to learn as much as possible about them
- Know both the kind of resident they accept so you can find the best fit and write the best essay
- Mention you match their ideal candidate profile and that you have the skills or particular focus of their school as major interests
- Give examples of abilities you have, demonstrate specific interests in subject matter and include some research experience in that field
- It should complement your personal statement and not be a repetition of your autobiographical sketch
Reference Letters for residency
High quality effective reference letters are some of the most important parts of your residency application. Generally you will need between 3 and 5 reference letters for various programs. Your referees have to write glowing, supportive letters that will differentiate yourself from the other applicants and reflects your professionalism and competence.
We will guide you in selecting the referees that will add the most value to your application, assembling the documents needed to support your reference letter and create drafts that will help your referee touch upon the most important features that need to be showcases in the reference letter. If you are involved in our projects we can write a reference letter for you as well as well help you network in the biomedical community .
The ideal reference letter should:
- be written by someone who knows you extremely well and can write a glowing letter for you
- your referee endorsement should come from the most renowned and respected doctor you have worked with
- be written by someone who has been involved and is interested in mentoring you and in your professional development
- ideally should be written by Canadian or US program directors, professor clinicians, local doctors with whom you worked or did observerships, or research
- the letter should state clearly your high ranking among your peers
- should be a detailed and personalized letter and not a template letter
- should comment on the specific areas CARMS requests
- not all great doctors or professors are also great writers so the quality of the letter can vary despite the great intentions of the writer
$100 per hour of one on one consultation, review and editing of your statement, secondaries, and references
Let us help you to stand out from the crowd! Our detailed editing and comments will help you refine you a application to perfection! You can book an on site session or send us your drafts electronically in confidentiality via email and receive our comments and recommendations for improvement electronically and/or by phone. We will provide you with a quote prior to starting any work on your document.